   RE: [xml-dev] Using pre-arranged arrays to render charts

Yes it is.  One doesn't have to download an Adobe plugin,
or That Other Browser. :-)  The good news is that it is a
simple language; the bad news is that the documentation
and examples are scarce.  I found an old "Elliotte Harold"
piece that was very useful, but otherwise, the tutorials
tend to be thin.  That's bad because when looking at the
specification, there are lots of options that would probably
improve that example a lot and MS doesn't really provide
enough information, their assumption likely being that
someone would write a book.

Behaviors are a neat easy way to attach a processor for a
namespace. I doubt they are the future, but for this kind
of quick and dirty application, they work and are easy to
grok.  We here tend to live in the 'program down to atoms'
world; but authors live in the 'copy and paste until it
renders good enough" world.  XML applications are really
designed for them, not us.  MS understands that better
than most.

The tough part initially is understanding the visual
rendering model combinations.  I suspect the same is
so of SVG.  I would have done that in X3D but once
again, there is a plug-in requirement.  Yet I think
these graphics when complex would work better in an
animatible 3D environment.

Visualization systems in XML dialects are fun.
One has to wonder what happens to all of the
different viz languages as the next generation frameworks
come on line.  I am always amazed at how hard some
designers make life for themselves and their customers
by insisting on doing in objects things that are
already available in simpler XML languages.

len

From: Thomas B. Passin [mailto:tpassin@comcast.net]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> That's easy. See below.  Run's without a plugin right there
> in the HTML.  ;-)
>
> The layout generator is modestly challenging.

My, it's almost like having svg built in, isn't it?  I haven't really
worked with IE behaviors before and don't have much of a notion of how
many of them there are and what they can do.   Wonder if that is the
kind of thing the OP was thinking of...