   Re: [xml-dev] The myth of 80/20

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 18:11, Robert Koberg wrote:
>
>>Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe they are carefully hidden in the member's section, but I have
>>>never seen a cost analysis for a W3C (or any other competing standard
>>>organisation) decision made in the name of the mythic 80/20 rule...
>>
>>the easier it is to make money from some tool, the faster the adoption
>>of that tool
>>
>>do you disagree?
>

> I don't know (I have never been good at making money), but I don't see
> how that relates to the mis-usage of the 80/20 to accept or reject
> technical feature requests without any cost and market analysis.

Well, the 80/20 rule, while originally thought up by an Italian
economists who discovered 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of
the people, has been applied to many other things. In the situation we
are discussing (?), it is simply that by covering 80% of the some thing
you get to the place you want. By trying to cover more, you usually
don't get there.

best,
-Rob