   Re: [xml-dev] SAX/Java Proposed Changes

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>> - note that a parser might not invoke endDocument after reporting a
>> fatal error (this produces the fewest incompatibilities)
>
> I'm a little uncomfortable with this "fix". I think always calling
> endDocument is the right thing to do, and it should be required in the
> spec. I don't think this would increase incompatibility in any
> significant way. It would simply encourage vendors of non-conformant
> parsers to bring their parsers into compliance, thereby increasing
> compatibility. This would allow users to depend on this behavior for the
>  first time.

Still, this change would make some existing major parsers that are currently
conformant suddenly non-conformant, and I'm not comfortable doing that
lightly, for what is mainly a bookkeeping and cleanup release.  If all of
the new properties and features are optional, I don't think that there's
anything else in the list that would break existing parsers.

> Letting it go either way is the real problem.

Noted.  What does everyone else think?

All the best,

David