   Re: [xml-dev] SAX/Java Proposed Changes

At 12:49 PM -0500 3/5/04, David Megginson wrote:

>Still, this change would make some existing major parsers that are currently
>conformant suddenly non-conformant, and I'm not comfortable doing that
>lightly, for what is mainly a bookkeeping and cleanup release.  If all of
>the new properties and features are optional, I don't think that there's
>anything else in the list that would break existing parsers.

I don't think this is a change. I think this is what the specs say
now, and I think those parsers are today non-conformant. This would
make it more obvious to parser vendors that they have a problem and
that they need to call endDocument. Right now they're living in
denial.

However, before making this change we should probably ask the
relevant Xerces and Oracle developers what they think. AS far as I
can tell, these are the only two currently maintained SAX parsers for
Java, and both have this problem. (At least Oracle 9 did. I haven't
tested the just released Oracle 10 yet.)

If this is going to take too long for the Java 1.5 time frame, then
we should probably punt for now, and not change the language on this
at all. Wait for SAX 2.0.2 instead. I for one have a basket full of
other issues like this that should be addressed at some point
(including other issues related to exception handling) which I've
been holding back so we could get the uncontroversial fixes out the
door first.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu