   Re: [xml-dev] W3C suckered by Microsoft?

Bob Wyman wrote:

>Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>

>>I think dramatic change is needed, and a victory
>>by Eolas looks to me to be the event most likely
>>to bring about such change. The amount of money
>>involved is pocket change for Microsoft in any case.
>>

>	So, you're saying we should sit back and "sacrifice" several
>hundred million dollars of Microsoft's money and mess up their product
>plans in order to teach folk that the problem of bad patents is real?

Yup. Sounds like it's worth a try to me.

>	Sorry, I'm just not quite that cold. Neither Microsoft nor
>anyone else, no matter how small or large, deserves to be "sacrificed"
>in such a manner. In this country (the United States) we generally
>work on the idea that everyone has a right to justice and equal
>treatment in our courts. These rights aren't properly suspended when
>it becomes convenient to create an "example" -- even if, as you
>suggest, the money wouldn't be a big loss for Microsoft. In the
>country where this case is being pursued, the goal is to provide
>justice to *all* -- independent of their means.

Hmmm. Tell that to the Muslim charities shut down because some of the
same people who donated to them also donated to organizations our
government has labeled as "terrorist". In any case, I'm not arguing
against the "right to justice and equal treatment in our courts." If
anything, I'm saying let this take its course. You appear to be the one
arguing in favor of intervention from outside the court system in order
to invalidate the judgment of the courts.

You appear to be offended by what you see as a lack of justice in the
outcome of this case. Unfortunately, our legal system here in these
United States has very little to do with justice. It's a system of laws
enacted by career politicians who are rarely if ever motivated by
anything I'd see as the public interest. This is not (just) an
indictment of the United States, though - the same holds true, with
minor variations, in every other country I'm aware of.

>	But, it's hard to tell where people are from in mailing
>lists... Perhaps you're not an American? Or, maybe if you are, perhaps
>you just slept through that bit about the Constitution when you were
>in school...

I'm a citizen of a country known as the United States of America, but
AFAIK the Constitution of this country has no guarantees of justice or
even equal treatment in our courts. Too bad - I wish it did. If you're
from the same United States, perhaps you can point out to me the bits I
missed.

  - Dennis