   RE: [xml-dev] W3C suckered by Microsoft?

From: Greg Colyer [mailto:greg-xml@elysium.ltd.uk]

>Well, crediting your sources is all very good and honourable, but
>omitting to do so is hardly new.

Doesn't make it right.  Do that in a modern journal or even a
newspaper and one can send a career right down the tubes.  Do
it in a blog and given the environment, one can be credited
instantly by some large number of other bloggers and it hardens
like an 80/20 standard.  But over time, slowly and not without
some pain, people do see through such things.  HP is helping.
That is cool.

This isn't uniform at all levels of communication.  I don't
expect someone to cite Homer in a casual conversation about
the Trojan War.  If they quote him in a blog, I expect it.
If they quote him in an academic paper, I demand it, or the
student flunks.   What can happen now that HP has worked out
the technology is that a rating service based on the quality
of the work can be created.  That offsets the power of the
blogging keiretsu.

len