   Re: [xml-dev] W3C suckered by Microsoft?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> From: Greg Colyer [mailto:greg-xml@elysium.ltd.uk]
>
>>Well, crediting your sources is all very good and honourable, but
>>omitting to do so is hardly new.
>
> Doesn't make it right.  Do that in a modern journal or even a
> newspaper and one can send a career right down the tubes.  Do
> it in a blog and given the environment, one can be credited
> instantly by some large number of other bloggers and it hardens
> like an 80/20 standard.

I think this blog attribution thing is overblown. The Wired article says
[1]:

"Indeed, the team at HP Labs found that when an idea infected at least
10 blogs, 70 percent of the blogs did not provide links back to another
blog that had previously mentioned the idea."

Besides plagiarism, another possible explanation is simply that once a
blogger see an idea in several different places, he assumes it's common
knowledge.

And show me a newspaper or TV station that consistently attributes
sources for story ideas.

For a laugh, see the study authors' take on the press coverage, called
"Why do bloggers kill kittens?"[2]

Jim

[1] - http://wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62537,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
[2] - http://www-idl.hpl.hp.com/blogstuff/faq.html#10