   Re: [xml-dev] W3C suckered by Microsoft?

At 12:23 PM -0500 3/9/04, Jim Ancona wrote:

>I think this blog attribution thing is overblown. The Wired article says [1]:

Yes. Certainly. Many memes propagate on mailing lists, Usenet, and
around water coolers and back into blog space. It's no surprise not
everyone jknows original sources all the times.

And of course there's a large extent of "it steam engines when it's
steam engine time"  (I have no clue who first said that.) In my
personal areas, it's not uncommon to see the same story pop up on
various Java or XML sites, because something recently happened such
as a product or spec release. Somebody gets to the story first, but
that doesn't mean the five people who get to it five minutes later
learned about it from the first mentioner.   That's true even outside
the tech world. I myself noticed that Diet Coke with Lemon tasted
like Lemon Pledge, but wasn't surprised when various bloggers
mentioned that fact. They weren't copying me. They just happened to
drink the nasty stuff around the same time. The taste was pretty hard
to miss. And of course when multiple bloggers hit the same story at
the same time it's more likely than not that the first one will be a
less popular blog simply because there are more less popular blogs
than mega-blogs. There's really no story here.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu