   RE: [xml-dev] qName/localName confusion

# How much overhead is involved in setting the
# namespace-prefixes feature?
# I agree that testing whether it actually worked is over the
# top, but just turning on the feature should be No Big Deal.

Firstly, turning on the feature might fail. I don't know how many parsers
don't support the feature; I would have to decide whether to support such
parsers or not; I would have to test the code that handles such a failure.

Secondly, the parser would then give me namespace declarations in the
attributes list that I'm not interested in. It would presumably have to do
extra work to put them there, and I would have to do extra work to take them
out again.

Incidentally, I do occasionally get errors from parsers that don't support
the features that every parser is required to support. These "parsers"
usually turn out to be user-written filters.

Michael Kay