   RE: [xml-dev] Cross document validation with Schematron - XML syntax for

  • To: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Cross document validation with Schematron - XML syntax for Xpath?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@stjude.org>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:24:12 -0600

Michael Kay <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com> writes:

> I wouldn't wish XQueryX on anyone, but it seemed to be
> exactly what you were looking for. I'm now confused about
> your requirements.

Well, the real requirement is to be able to pull out some data from a
different document and validate data in the current document against it.
We had been wandering down the path of using an XML syntax we could
parse in order to grab the document info and also assemble some
Schematron validation against.

However, it seems to me that we might be able to use XQuery directly to
achieve both needs: grab the data and also run a query to determine if
the current document data meets some constraint determined by that data.
Essentially we might be able to specify something like:

<validate>
	<var1>xquery 1</var1>
	<var2>xquery 2</var2>
	<assert>some xquery using var1 and var2</assert>
</validation>

I use XML syntax here just to frame the pieces we need.  Anything that
can be parsed into the suitable component pieces would suffice...