   Syndication (WAS RE: [xml-dev] hurry GenX...)

I'm thinking of reasons one would want to syndicate
and so, marketable applications.  If these are not
realistic, tell me so.  My concept space is notifications.
That seems general in scope, but specific in that a
lot of machinery can be shared without too much
regard to the notification type.

Say one is a car manufacturer faced with a recall.

Is a syndication technology a good means to distribute
recall notices?  Is RSS/Atom a good format for that?
Does the owner subscribe when the car is purchased or
does purchasing the car put them on a list for pushing
the content to them only if it is necessary? Let's
skip the issue for the moment if that is the legally
acceptable means because the notice can go down separate
channels: one legal, one convenient.  One would hope
that a syndicated car recall notice isn't in the same
pipe as the usual ads one gets right after a purchase
because the user will learn to ignore them or filter
them then the notice gets blasted with the ads.

Say one has a license renewal coming up.  That
seems ideal as a form of notification.   Certainly,
it would be cheaper than snail mail and it can do
what the postman won't: request notification acknowledgement.
Is receipt acknowlegement beyond RSS/Atom?  Email has
it but what about subscription services?  I definitely
want to be able to discriminate among subscription-based
notifications and email.

We can likely come up with a long list of these.

len