   Re: [xml-dev] Comparing XSL and XQuery

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 05:12:03PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> XSLT doesn't "compare itself" with XQuery or anything else, but people may
> compare the two languages: I did so, for example, in my chapter of "XQuery
> from the Experts" published by Addison-Wesley.

Mike Kay's chapter in that book is very very clear and well-written --
I highly recommend both the chapter and indeed the whole book.

You (Ram) don't mention if you are comparing XSLT 1 or XSLT 2;
XSLT 2 has Schema support, and is a lot closer to XML Query.

If you are extracting information from large collections of documents,
you're likely to want XQuery - although not all implementations
handle indexed collections, some do, and it's a concept that's very
much part of the language.

If you're transforming single documents to XHTM (say), you will
probably want XSLT.

If you are creating text files from XML, you will almost certainly
want XSLT - even if you use XML Query to extract XML that you then
process with XSLT, something I expect to be a common patten.

But it's early days yet, people are still experimenting.

I'll be talking about a Web site I did using XML Query for the
search function, at XML Europe next month.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/