   Re: [xml-dev] [off-topic] Web services best practice information?

Ian Graham wrote:

>Any ideas on what list / site might have such nuggets?
>
>I'm looking for ideas on how to place optional (e.g. triggered by a
>service request flag) debug information in WS messages (e.g. should it
>go in SOAP header or footer, what's good WSDL design for this, what's a
>good XML pattern for the <debug> content, etc.). We want this to be
>permanently part of our WS infrastructure (so we can turn it on when
>things go blork).
>
>More generally, I can't seem to find good web service best practice
>information, or even good lists on that topic. Anyone else had better
>success (I hope so!)
>
>Best / Ian

I'll second Jon's recommendation that you look at the WS-I Basic Profile
for general best practices
(http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2003-08/BasicProfile-1.0a.html). If
I correctly understand what you want to do, it sounds like the best way
may be to use the header block (SOAP doesn't actually define a footer).
You could define one header for the request that says you want the debug
information enabled, and a separate header for the response that
actually provides the information.

The SOAP recommendations actually allow the use of multiple body parts,
so you could append the debug information in the response following the
many body element. This is not a recommended approach, though, and the
WS-I best practices forbid it.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski