   Re: [xml-dev] is there a way to break out of the xsl:for-each loop ?

At 2004-03-23 08:38 -0600, Bill Riegel wrote:
>What to look thru a listOfNodes, and set contents on a variable, foundIt,
>when I found what I am looking for, then break.

XSLT does not work this way ... the semantics for an <xsl:for-each> are
different than a programmer's "for loop".

><xsl:variable name="foundIt">
>         <xsl:for-each select="$listofNodes">
>                 <xsl:if test="string(current()) = $mySearchItem">
>                         <!-- break out of look if found what I am looking
>for -->
>                         <xsl:break>
>                 </xsl:if>
>         </xsl:for-each>
></xsl:variable>
>
><!-- do something with foundIt -->

XSLT does not work this way either ... variables are bound with a value and
cannot change within their scope.

You haven't described what you want to do to your information, you have
only described a non-functional programmer's approach to a coding pattern.

Perhaps you need something like:

   <xsl:for-each select="$listofNodes[.=$mySearchItem]">
     <!--do something with found nodes equal to my search item-->
   </xsl:for-each>

When using XSLT you merely address the nodes that you want to process
rather than attempting a circuitous design pattern based on traditional
programming techniques.

I hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc