   Re: [xml-dev] ns 1.1

Hi Mike,

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 18:23, Mike Fitzgerald wrote:
> This feels like a dumb question, but I am not clear on an issue.Section
> 7 of Namespaces in XML 1.1 reads:
>
> "This specification applies to XML 1.1 documents. To conform to this
> specification, a document /MUST/ be well-formed according to the XML 1.1
> specification." [1]
>
> Namespaces 1.1 supports xmlns="". Can I undeclare a namespace in an XML
> 1.0 document or must it be an XML 1.1 document?

The snippet that you've included above is pretty clear that Namespaces
in XML 1.1 only applies to XML 1.1 documents, for XML 1.0, you must look
for an answer in Namespaces in XML 1.0 that says [2]:

"The default namespace can be set to the empty string. This has the same
effect, within the scope of the declaration, of there being no default
namespace. "

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#defaulting

> Or does it simply depend on the processor?

The above statement let me think that it shouldn't...

Eric