   Re: [xml-dev] ns 1.1

>This feels like a dumb question, but I am not clear on an issue.Section
>7 of Namespaces in XML 1.1 reads:
>
>"This specification applies to XML 1.1 documents. To conform to this
>specification, a document /MUST/ be well-formed according to the XML 1.1
>specification." [1]
>
>Namespaces 1.1 supports xmlns="". Can I undeclare a namespace in an XML
>1.0 document or must it be an XML 1.1 document? Or does it simply depend
>on the processor?

Namespaces 1.1 is tied strictly to XML 1.1, and its new features are
only enabled for XML 1.1 documents.  The syntax xmlns:foo="" is
illegal in XML 1.0 documents.  (xmlns="", which undeclares the default
namespace, is legal in both).

The same goes for the other substantive change in Namespaces 1.1: the
use of IRIs as namespace names.  However you'll find that most XML 1.0
processors didn't check anything about namespace names, so you probably
won't get an error message from a 1.0 processor.

-- Richard