   Re: [xml-dev] Eclipse: the new Emacs? (and the XML story)

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 16:36, David Megginson wrote:
<snip>
> I'd love to hear other people's experiences with Eclipse and XML.

Mine are much the same as yours, so I don't know if I can really add
anything about oXygen or XMLBuddy. I tried using oXygen to validate
documents against a RELAX NG schema, but that didn't work out too well.
oXygen was unable to associate the document with the schema. (If anyone
has had better luck, please tell me.)

I am not sure that Epic will ever be my favourite XML editor. So far,
the XML plugins I've seen have been text editors with syntax
highlighting. They aren't even close to being useful for authoring
large, or complex, XML documents. What I'd really like, is something
along the lines of XMetaL, and with support for RELAX NG. I won't hold
my breath though.

Though not currently ideal for XML editing, Eclipse is a very powerful
IDE. I use it for Java and Perl programming, and sometimes for very
simple XML editing. Epic, the Perl plugin, is coming along nicely.
Speaking of simple XML files, I have also found the built in Ant-editor
useful.

As for Eclipse being the new Emacs, the thought has occurred to me. Both
are very powerful. Both have user interfaces that take a little bit of
effort getting used to. And of course, both are extremely adaptable.

/Henrik