   Re: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?

Rick Marshall wrote:

> which leads me to my real conclusion: simple things are good. they can
> be understood, implemented, and used in the lifetime of a human being.
> complex things are of no use because they can't.

Here's the famous codification of that idea by Richard Gabriel:

   http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

He's writing about programming languages and operating systems, but the same
applies to specifications and standards.

And you can add RSS to your list of successful one-person specs: love him or
hate him, Dave Winer's the one who initially pulled RSS out of Netscape's
dumpster, slapped on a new paint job, and made it possible for it (or them,
since there's more than one RSS) to grow into XML's greatest success.

All the best,

David