   Re: [xml-dev] Eclipse: the new Emacs? (and the XML story)

Mark Schmeets wrote:

> I have not tried xmlbuddy, but all of the xml editors I have tried,
> including oXygen ( and the Win32 ones XMLSpy, XMLNotepad, etc. ) exhibit
> this behavior. Using RAM at 10 to 12 times the size of the document on
> disk. I have always assumed it was because the were using DOM's
> internally, and that the
> DOM implementations were memory hogs. Any one have any wisdom to share
> here?

You're probably right.  Java objects have an awful lot of built-in memory
overhead just for the java.lang.Object base class, and if you naively create
a separate object for every element, attribute, attribute value, text chunk,
and so on, you end up with a very large in-memory data structure.  Memory
aside, Java object creation and deletion is also very slow (that's why it
takes so long to load an XML document into a DOM).

All the best,

David