   RE: [xml-dev] XML Newbie - how can I convert (easily) my XML files into

  • To: "Jerry Lake" <jerry@bagpeddler.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XML Newbie - how can I convert (easily) my XML files into MySQL?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:50:53 -0500

Jerry Lake <jerry@bagpeddler.com> writes:

> I have delved into XSLT a little bit, I am certainly working
> on using it in the future. One of my concerns is page load
> time, If I allow the client to parse the XML files (the full
> ones are a little large) page loads take forever. If I parse
> on the server (Side question: is PHP/Sablotron a good way to
> go about that?) how much is that going to tax my server?

If the XML is an incoming feed then the XSLT is going to be run when the
data is updated (and then stored in your database).  That should not
really affect client response times since you're still free to do
whatever you want on the page generation to the client...

> It seems like it would be a good idea to have the info in a
> DB then spit out what I need from that, be it XML or whatever
> I may need, then deliver that info to the client?

You've got to give us a little more to go on.  What are the data sizes?
What are the requirements?

If you're talking small amounts of data that has to be rendered 1000
different ways then server side XSLT generating XHTML to the client will
repay you many times in saved development costs.  If you're talking 1
huge data file that gets queried to generate a list of data XSLT may not
help you at all.

Having said that using XSLT can let you separate your content from your
design for your complete web site.  To update the design you then only
need to change 1 XSLT file instead of hitting every single HTML page.  I
use XSLT to generate everything on the sites I'm currently doing, the
cost on the server side is trivial compared to the savings in
development and maintenance times (and in some cases the users can
update their own content without having to know anything about the way
the web site is put together).

<snip/>