   RE: [xml-dev] XML Newbie - how can I convert (easily) my XML files into

> I have delved into XSLT a little bit, I am certainly working
> on using it
> in the future. One of my concerns is page load time, If I allow the
> client to parse the XML files (the full ones are a little large) page
> loads take forever. If I parse on the server (Side question: is
> PHP/Sablotron a good way to go about that?) how much is that going to
> tax my server?

There are few technologies that leave as many options open for your
application architecture as XSLT does. You can transform on the client or on
the server, you can do it at document publishing time or at document
delivery time.

Generally, with client-side transformation, there is no noticeable
performance delay. If you get it right, response times can be a lot better
because (a) the XML sent to the client is usually much smaller than the
corresponding HTML, and (b) a lot of browsing around the data can be done
locally without requiring return trips to the server. But obviously if you
ship a multi-megabyte database when the user only wants to see one record,
there will be a delay.

Michael Kay