   Re: [xml-dev] xpath in javascript

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 17:49, Tomas Olsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to use xpath and javascript together?
> I would like to choose parts of a XML document with xpath and use the
> result in a javascript. How shold I do?

Whether you can use XPath or not has got nothing to do with whether you
are using JavaScript. What you need is an XML parser with XPath support,
and of course, you need to be able to use the parser from JavaScript.

Microsoft's MSXML has XPath support, and you can use it from JavaScript.
the XPath support is described in the documentation. However, you should
be aware that MSXML does have some limitations:

* You can't remap SYSTEM and PUBLIC identifiers in DOCTYPE declarations
* Namespace attributes must be normalized (included in the document
  instance). Just having them declared in a DTD doesn't work.
* MSXML may mash some Unicode characters. You will probably be fine if
  your documents are in English, or most other Western European
  languages, but you can get into trouble with some Asian ones.

Oh, by the way, you can instantiate the parser like this:

var parser = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");

The string may vary depending on the parser version.

/Henrik