   RE: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?

my beef with all of this is simple:

1. a belief in the necessity of anarchy. and most standards efforts are
directed against the intrusion of anarchy, rather than the utilisation
of it.
2. objection to commercial interests and marketing directing technical
direction. doesn't it worry anyone else that these standards are driven
by ibm, bea, microsoft, sun etc not prof this and dr that? that as a
result they can only be implemented at great cost by large teams in big
products, and everyday software developers have no hope?
3. not particularly committed to open source, but on average it has done
more good than bad for me.
4. my problem with microsoft is that it is as much a conservative force
slowing computing to a speed that it can exploit for maximum profit.
bill gates claims notwithstanding, i don't feel that computing is very
much advanced on where it was in the 80's. it's just more ubiquitous (is
that a tautology?)
5. i still develop lots of small interacting processes, even on the one
machine. distributed processing should just be an extra communication
layer, not a whole "new" way of doing things.
6 having said that the only bits of clear interest to me in the whole
ws-* group are 1. reliable messaging (in this case a rework of things
we've done a dozen times before), 2. reliable identification (also a
rework), 3. encryption for secure communications (also a rework).

and if you look at the bits that work and are starting to be used widely
it's just those things.

rick