   XQuery question - feel free to ignore

I was hoping someone who uses or intends to use XQuery might have some
experience and/or thoughts on this.
If I have a database that supports XQuery and I construct a query that uses
the following XPath as part of a flower statement:
customer[surname = 'smith']
how would you both want and expect the query to run?
1) Return all customers where surname equalled exactly 'smith' or
2) Follow the datbase matching and return 'Smith' and 'smith' and other case
insensitive strings or
3) I can choose by setting a parameter before running the query which mode
to use

On a similar note if I ask for
customer[age > 20.5]
but age is stored as an integer would you want/expect the same sort of
conversion to be made as the database would (probably error as unable to
implicitly cast) or would you expect the results to be queried as XPath. In
essence where does the filter take place, in the database or on some
imaginary document created by the database containing all customers?

Thanks for you views etc..

Joe Fawcett