   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery question - feel free to ignore

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:22:48PM -0700, Joe Fawcett wrote:
> If I have a database that supports XQuery and I construct a query that uses
> the following XPath as part of a flower statement:
> customer[surname = 'smith']
> how would you both want and expect the query to run?
> 1) Return all customers where surname equalled exactly 'smith' or
> 2) Follow the datbase matching and return 'Smith' and 'smith' and other case
> insensitive strings or
> 3) I can choose by setting a parameter before running the query which mode
> to use

(3) - in partcular, see the XPath and Functions and Operators
      descriptions of collations and of equality.  (1) will
      generally be the default.

> On a similar note if I ask for
> customer[age > 20.5]
> but age is stored as an integer would you want/expect the same sort of
> conversion to be made

Yes because you can compare an integer and a decimal.

XQuery operates on instances of the XPath 2 Data Model.  It's up
to the implementor to map correctly from the database into the
data model.  The implementation can do the casting anywhere it
likes - it should have all the information it needs to make the
decision -- but conceptually it happens on data model instances.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/