   RE: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?

  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:29:07 -0500
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> Yes as long as local solutions aren't required to scale up
> or down in all dimensions.

There you go adding complexity requirements back in again...

> There is nothing wrong with a local solution for a local
> problem.  Clay Shirky has discovered the principle
> of 'situatedness' and is writing about it.  One of the
> web myths is that all apps need to scale.  It just ain't so,
> but even scale itself is not a simple problem.

Scale or scaling is the entire problem if you ask me.  As I've said
before, it helps if you can throw hardware at the problem (just to keep
the topic about XML)...

> Not only is the lunch not free, the menu is tough to
> manage day to day.  Even local problems have multiple
> dimensions.  Simple things like alphabetization vs
> database order for documenting table fields cause riots.
>
> Every time I zoom in on the problem tree, I discover
> another branch, and sometimes, I saw it off.

I've got a whole stack of chestnut, oak, etc. from trees that my
neighbors have cut down.  One of these days I'll get around to getting
it milled for furniture making.  One persons problem is another's
"opportunity".