   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

At 1:22 PM -0500 4/8/04, Bob Foster wrote:
>Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>>  ...I'm a man of extremes. I either want to edit my XML by hand in
>>a text editor (with maybe a little help from syntax coloring and
>>tag completion,
>
>And maybe a little validation and a little formatting? ;-}

I suppose I could use a preview or validate button. I specifically do
not want constant validation. That is, I want the editor to not
validate the document I am writing. I do not want it to complain or
even notice if I'm producing invalid markup. I should also not that
when it comes to code completion, I do not want anything based on
some notion of which tags are and are not valid at a particular
point. Editors that try this stuff are actively crippling. Even if
they were wicked fast (which they aren't), this feature would still
get in my way and stop me from doing what I need to do. Features like
this are harmful by their very nature, irrespective of performance
issues.

--
   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu