   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list available

Respectfully, it is my opinion that those that question whether we need
a "one-size-fits-all-binary"  XML are making assumptions about how much
of a negative tradeoff must be made in an optimized format.  Certainly
with solutions like ASN.1 encoding, I would agree that the negative
tradeoffs are unpleasant (fixed schema 'compilation', etc.).

I believe however that several aspects of processing and representation
can be optimized without severe tradeoffs and with a large net positive
impact.  That's what we should assume is possible and work toward.

One aphorism that I have always liked:
"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it."

Or the other saying by Joel A. Barker (according to:
http://www.cyber-nation.com/victory/quotations/authors/quotes_barker_joela.html
):
"The ultimate function of prophecy is not to tell the future, but to
make it.  Your successful past will block your visions of the future."

And yes, I have code.  I'm going back to it now.

sdw

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Three doesn't go with one and two.  That
>is the old bugaboo about scaling that some are
>beginning to realize is mythInformation in the
>web lore.  The question is always 'interoperate
>with which systems?'.
>
>The web is not an information space, or at
>least, not one information space.  That is
>lore.  It is lots of little systems interoperating
>with each other and some of them using HTTP
>to do that to create small and large 'information
>spaces' within the same addressing system.
>Formats vary by system.  URIs are always URIs.
>
>That brings us back to the real issue: do
>we really need one-size-fits-all-binary?
>
>I for one, doubt we do. Some of us do need
>a binary.   Some sizes fit most and I think
>that that is what some think they will get
>from this WG.  We'll see.
>
>len
>

>From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]
>
>I think we may have this set of choices:
>
>1. Minimum size
>2. Maximum Speed
>3. Interoperable
>
>Pick any one. :-)