   RE: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list availabl e

Understood.  Names matter.

len

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

At 11:59 AM -0500 4/9/04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Calling it XML-something may be a stretch.

Good point. If someone, possibly even the W3C, chooses to invent some
binary syntax for labelled trees, that happens to solves some
problems XML doesn't solve or doesn't solve well, that's perfectly
OK. I might even write a book about it. :-)

It's only when, instead of letting the new format succeed or fail on
its own merit, they mislabel it as XML, confuse people, and pollute
the XML environment, I begin to get anxious and start dusting off the
flame thrower.