   Re: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 22:00, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> To give a direct comparison with esXML/esDOM I'd need to
> define a native API for working with the XBIS serialization of
> a document directly. That's not something I see as worthwhile,
> given the wide variety of APIs already available for working
> with XML.

As I am sure you know neither of the common API models, I mean
SAX or DOM (in any variant that I am aware of), either
separately or togeather provide an ideal platform for high
performance XML processing. While development concerns are not
the focus here the encoding format is important because it
determines the functionality available to an application unless
it is prepared to convert the data to some other format at some
cost.

For me a successfull encoding would need to be both efficient at
SAX style replay but also support efficient data access directly
from its encoded form. Or put another way, solving the
speed/size issue just for data transmission is only part of the
battle, the receiving application must also be able to process
it efficiently which implies in native form. Something of a
combination of XBIS and esXML might be close assuming that esXML
meets its claims.

Regards,
Kev.