   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Schema vs Schema-free (was: RE: [xml-dev] XMLBinary Ch

> 	I see your point, in the abstract, however, I can't help
> thinking that we should be able to assume more uniformity than you
> suggest.

Information hiding, coupled with extension points.  For example,
the exact format of my identification token may not be known to anyone
else, but I can put it into a WS-Security header because of the
xsd:any they have.  Outsiders just treat it as an opaque blob of XML;
my security system knows what to do with it.

I think this kind of thing will become more common, not less.

Parts of X.fws concern me -- I am thinking of the round-trip from
XML for something like <error-rate>.500</error-rate> going to a
local number, out via ASN.1/DER as an IEEE float, and back.  Along
the way it's all too likely to end up as .5, which will break my
digital signature -- and quite rightly, since trailing zero's are
semantically significant.

        /r$

XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html