   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Schema vs Schema-free (was: RE: [xml-dev] XML Binary C

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 02:10, Rich Salz wrote:

> Parts of X.fws concern me -- I am thinking of the round-trip
> from XML for something like <error-rate>.500</error-rate>
> going to a local number, out via ASN.1/DER as an IEEE float,
> and back.  Along the way it's all too likely to end up as .5,
> which will break my digital signature -- and quite rightly,
> since trailing zero's are semantically significant.

Isn't this the core of the problem with the current schema based
encoders. The current models are lossy with respect to the
XPath data model which is so central to many current
applications.

Perhaps there are schema based encoders that do not have this
property by using the element/attribute structure information to
aid encoding but being loseless for content.  I guess it is
questionable if an encoder of this type would have any
significant performance advantage over a schema-free encoder.

My hope would be that any model that is lossy with respect the
XPath data model is no go as it harms such a large part of what
most developers consider XML.

Regards,
Kev