   Re: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> So I guess what I'm saying is you're right. There's no difference
> between sending a serialized XML DOM across RMI and shipping some
> other "binary" XML format. they're both incredibly fragile things that
> will break and probably sooner rather than later.

You know, like Jpeg, Tiff/Group4, Word documents (!), PowerPoint, zip
files, tar/cpio, jar files, gziped HTML, etc.

When you get a corrupted XML document, you can always magically recover
just the right missing tags and information?  Wow, where is that method
in the spec?

We're realistically talking about bugs or deficiencies in code,
configuration, mismatch between applications, etc., not 'fragile things
that break' from any perspective but schema co-evolution, configuration
management, and programmer error, isn't that right?

You can add forward error correction, b64 or quoted text encoding, and
other methods to prevent corruption, but the only cure for
user/programmer/operator error is early error detection and clear
warning.  When these have already been taken care of, through earlier
testing in once sense or another, or other methods, it is not an issue.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Pers: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st