   RE: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>At 9:13 AM -0400 4/15/04, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>>But if the xml "alternative" is not a text format,
>>well-formedness may not have an equivalent.
> I tend to doubt that. For instance, the format must
> not allow element names that contain illegal characters.
	Unlike XML, it is exceptionally unlikely that anyone will
"hand-craft" a document in binary formats or try to build it up in a
text-editor. The usual process for creating binary-encoded data is to
use a library of functions. This library, if properly built, will
ensure that rules such as those which specify legal characters are
conformed to.
	Because of their support libraries, it is usually the case
that binary format processors need not be anywhere near as concerned
about improper encodings as an XML processor would be. Thus, this
while concern for well-formedness may be an ever-present, top-of-mind
issue for everyone manipulating XML, it tends to become a minor issue
for those using binary formats.

	Note: Don't bother telling me all the "ASN.1 Horror Stories"
that resulted from people relying on buggy code. I know all about
them... All code has bugs.

		bob wyman