   Re: [xml-dev] XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Online - Is XML too hard for

On Apr 16, 2004, at 4:25 AM, Gerald Bauer wrote:

Well, the point of XUL is that your forms designer
(interface builder) isn't tied to a toolkit such as
Cocoa, Gtk+, Qt or whatever but you can choose to some
extent your toolkit and reuse to some extend your XML
forms.

So...do you know of a good WYSIWYG forms designer that emits XUL? :)

(I believe IB can now save to an XML format, but it's not XUL. Maybe someone will write a stylesheet that will translate from one to the other...?)

I'm still not sure I buy the idea that a "compact" syntax makes things easier for Aunt Trudie, unless Trudie is already a C programmer. As I remember, the phenomenon was quite the opposite. When HTML appeared, a lot of previously non-technical people decided they could be a "web developer" as markup was a lot easier for them to understand than C or Fortran.

If Trudie doesn't already know C, Python, or Lisp, why will a syntax that looks like one of those languages help her? I think your alternative syntaxes will appeal much more to old-school-why-do-I-need-a-GUI-autocompleting-syntax-coloring-bloated-thing-to-edit-a-text-file Unix heads.

-jimbo

Excelsior! XML Marshaller for Cocoa
http://www.homepage.mac.com/jimbokun/Excelsior.html