   RE: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

At 12:30 PM -0400 4/16/04, Bob Wyman wrote:

>	We don't need to be lectured on the fact that working with
>binary requires a higher standard of diligence and discipline than
>working with text-based encodings. This is obvious. But, just because
>it's a bit "harder" doesn't mean it is bad.

Bob. You may not need to be lectured on this, but some other people
do,as the plethora of software that crashes on unexpected input
proves. It has been proposed in this very thread to use binary
formats precisely to avoid the overhead of checking for data
correctness. Just slam some bits into memory and assume everything is
hunky dory. I have seen any number of binary formats that achieve
speed gains precisely by doing this. And it is my contention that if
this is disallowed (as I think it should be) much, perhaps all, of
the speed advantages of these binary formats disappears.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu