   Re: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

Bob Wyman wrote:

>>And it is my contention that if this is disallowed
>>(as I think it should be) much, perhaps all, of
>>the speed advantages of these binary formats disappears.
>>

>	This just isn't true -- at least not for properly written
>ASN.1 binary codecs. (And, the ASN.1 XML codecs are just as robust...)
>The benchmarks presented at the Binary workshop show this to be the
>case. I'm sure you've read the papers. What is it that you don't
>believe?

I already commented on Elliotte's (mistaken ;-) ) contention separately,
but I'm curious what benchmarks were presented at the Binary workshop in
support of this point. I know Sun talked about their "Fast Web
Services", but there the encoding changes were comingled with a bunch of
other things so it's difficult to separate out the performance
difference due to the ASN.1 encoding from the effect of the other
changes. Were there some other benchmarks presented? I hadn't seen much
in going through the papers.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski