   Re: [xml-dev] Lx: compact syntax for XML

Greetings,

On Sunday, April 18, 2004, at 10:19 PM, Rick Marshall wrote:

> this may sound crazy, but every proposal i've seen so far to make xml
> quicker/faster seems to rely on getting rid of the end tag.

Ah, but I don't want to make XML `quicker/faster' for the machines (the
other current thread here recognises that this is largely pointless in
the vast majority of cases).

I just want to make XML (specifically XSLT and occasional RDF) easier
to read and write, and a bit easier for my editor to grok helpfully
(and yes, I do use psgml).

Thomas Passin's python-like syntax is nice, too, and similarly
isomorphic to standard XML.  The only difference is that Thomas's
syntax doesn't leap out of the page at me, whereas the lispish syntax
does.  Thomas clearly does a lot more Python than I do, so maybe this
is just a matter of habits and training, but it's this sort of `visual
obviousness' that I'm after, that Lx has, and XML's angle brackets
don't.

It's not that I've got a downer on angle brackets -- I've been working
with *ML long enough for that -- just that the decision to have XSL
written in XML instance syntax means that XSL is a lot less legible,
not to say downright ugly, than it has to be.

All the best,

Norman

Norman Gray                   http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow    norman@astro.gla.ac.uk