   Re: [xml-dev] Node

One simple way to get a string value from a node is with XSLT's value-of instruction,
which returns the string value of an expression. Here is a stylesheet that will do it.

<xsl:output method="text"/>

<xsl:template match="node">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Note: In XSLT 1.0 [1], value-of returns the string value of only the first node in a node
set, but XSLT 2.0 [2] can return string values (constructed text nodes) for all the nodes
in a set (sequence). A node-set in XSLT 1.0 is called a sequence in XSLT 2.0.

With the stylesheet in the file hejsan.xsl, you can use Xalan C++ [3] like this to process
your node:

C:\Hacks\examples>xalan - hejsan.xsl
<node>hejsan!</node>
^Z