   RE: [xml-dev] Validation vs performance - was Re: [xml-dev] Fast text ou

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 04:14, Rick Marshall wrote:
<snip>
> can't quite believe that you used regex and readability in the same
> sentence ;)

Now that you mention it, neither can I. :-)

> readability i'm sure has a lot to do with familiarity. the brain learns
> to look for patterns, ignore them and then get the content.

Yes. Some computer language designers spend a lot of effort
investigating how the brain recognizes and processes patterns. Sometimes
the results are a bit surprising. (I got my head around Perl 5, but I
don't know how I'll take to Perl 6. Certainly is a lot of interesting
stuff going on over in Perl 6 language design though.)

<snip>

> i've even heard apl programmers claim readability - and that would have
> to be the ultimate compact language!

I just had a look at an APL tutorial. I'm awed. I thought Perl was
concise...

/Henrik