   RE: [xml-dev] XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Online - Is XML too hard for

<bottomLine>All I'm saying is there are costs for alternative
syntaxes in a system that relies completely on syntax to knit
together diverse language communities.</bottomLine>

From: Mike Fitzgerald [mailto:mikefz@wyeast.net]

>I don't know of anyone who hasn't come to RNC without going through the XML
door first.

Not yet, but I'm sure experiences with it will be used to justify by
anedcotal
evidence many evil doings. :-)

>Maybe David Tolpin? I don't think of RNC as a learning tool, like guitar
chord tables, but
>rather as an express train for frequent rail riders. Nevertheless, I found
RNC VERY easy
>to learn [1] after using RELAX NG's XML syntax for over a year.

Like tab, it proliferates per instrument, unlike standard notation.  BTW:  I
heavily
use tab.  I am a self-confessed Guitare-Pro addict.  It came down to a
notation
for my natural language even though I was trained in standard notation.
Standard notation
is horrible for the guitar.  It is a one dimensional representation that has
be mentally mapped to a two-dimensional interface.  Fit over function.

My bass player refuses to use tab at all.  We have... discussions. Luckily,
GP supports both in the display.  Tools are wonderful.

>On the contrary, my addiction to RNG/RNC has had NO negative side effects
on me or on
>society. In fact, "I can quit anytime, I just don't want to." %^} RNG is
one of those
>things that has kept me a "true believer" in XML.[2] I have never dissed
XML or RNG's XML
>syntax because I use RNC. It makes using XML downstream easier.

Tab makes midi easier for me because I can push or pull a part from any
instrument
and learn it quickly even if transposed (try to learn Steely Dan's "Deacon
Blues"
in G sometime).  It killed my vocal sight reading.  All we are really
talking
about is habituation and tools.  Compact syntaxes increase the surface area
for
everyone by adding ease to specific apps.  That's all.  If someone learns
the
compact syntax and can't write XML blindfolded, they won't win the
XMLBlindfoldedContest.

>XML is the river;

"He just keeps rolling along".

len