   Re: [xml-dev] Readable syntaxes (was: XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Onli

On Apr 22, 2004, at 11:13 AM, Bob Wyman wrote:

The same applies to other formats. e.g. If I'm in a document
editor, I want to see bold text, underlines, etc.

I don't. I would much rather see Chapter, Section, Paragraph, Quotation, Reference, Emphasis, etc. etc.

I don't want to spend my day moving text two pixels to the left, no three pixels to the right, try a different font, no, the other one, make it 3 sizes bigger, no, one size smaller, uh, try bold.

I think a good outline based XML editor can create a nice editing environment for people like me who want to delegate how the document should look to a program that's good at doing that. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Also, any tool will have limits. There will be times when you want to do things with the data that the person who wrote the tool didn't envision, and then having a human readable text format like XML will be a big plus.

-jimbo

Excelsior! XML Marshaller for Cocoa
http://www.homepage.mac.com/jimbokun/Excelsior.html