   Re: [xml-dev] entity definitions

  *shrug*  The Namespaces recommendation provides an example of an alternate
  path.  It depends, in part, upon interpretation of the Entity Declared WFC
  and VC paragraphs of section 4.1.  See below.

Namespaces built on well formed documents, that's a big difference.

  But depending upon how you read these two paragraphs, the following
  possibly is well-formed (and possibly valid, if the entity is declared in
  a different schema language):

  <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
  <x>&foo;</x>

I wish that were true (would make MathML fragments a lot easier) but
I have not seen any XML parser that would support that reading and as I
say a request that that be the case in XML 1.1 was explictly rejected,
so I'd assume that the XML core group would not agree with you that that
is a possible reading for 1.0 (or 1.1)

More than that, not only did they decline to fix the problem, they
asserted that there was no problem to fix (using language I found rather
offensive, but thats not the issue here)

http://www.w3.org/XML/Core/2002/10/charents-20021023

David

http://www.star.net.uk