   RE: [xml-dev] You call that a standard?

This problem has many aspects, mostly due to the fact that the problem
itself is not clearly formulated.

One side of the problem seems moot, though.

- ISO produces (among other things) documents that are called "International
Standards"
- The ITU-T produces (among other things) documents that are called "ITU-T
Recommendations"
- The IETF produces (among other things) documents that are called "RFCs"
and "Internet Standards"
- The W3C produces (among other things) documents that are called "W3C
Recommendations"
- OASIS produces (among other things) documents that are called "OASIS
Standards"
- ANSI produces (among other things) documents that are called "American
National Standards"
- UNI produces documents that are called "norme (italiane) UNI"
- AFNOR produces documents that are called "normes francaises"
etc.

Each of the organizations above has a process, and **within each context**
the word "Standard" or "Recommendation" or "norma" or "norme" has a very
clear meaning.  The context assigns a meaning to the word.

If this is accepted, then the problem becomes what is the meaning of the
word standard in a "wider context".  But what is this wider context?
Information technology?  Technology in general?  Society in general?   The
industry?  The market?  The meaning probably changes as the context changes,
so this kind of discussion can last forever, since people don't seem to be
referring to the same context.

Alessandro