   Re: [xml-dev] ISO and the Standards Golden Hammer (was Re: [xml-d ev] Yo

> I wonder what Len would hold out as ISO's great computer technology
> successes

David,

Although I'm not Len, here are some ISO standards that people in computing
 have encountered over the years:

Characters sets and coding (ASCII, OCR-A, OCR-B, MICR, bar codes)
Audio and video compression (MPEG 1, 2, 4)
Graphics: GKS, PHIGS, CGM, JBIG
Messaging/mail: X.400
Languages: C, C++, Ada, SQL, FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, Modula-2, POSIX, CLI
Storage, networking, bus interfaces: SCSI, SCSI-2, FDDI, CSMA/CD, VMEbus,
Multibus, HIPPI, RS-232/V.24 electrical
Markup: SGML, RELAX NG, VRML
Geocoding: ISO 19100 (19107, 19108, 19123, 19127)

In general, ISO, IEC and ITU (formerly CCITT) collaborate on a variety of
standards -- (e.g., ISO/IEC 7498 Open Systems Interconnect). There are also
standards for things such as how many dead pixels are acceptable in LCDs.