   Re: [xml-dev] ISO and the Standards Golden Hammer (was Re: [xml-dev] You

> Although I'm not Len, here are some ISO standards that people in computing
>  have encountered over the years:
>
> Characters sets and coding (ASCII, OCR-A, OCR-B, MICR, bar codes)
> Audio and video compression (MPEG 1, 2, 4)
> Graphics: GKS, PHIGS, CGM, JBIG
> Messaging/mail: X.400
> Languages: C, C++, Ada, SQL, FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, Modula-2, POSIX, CLI
> Storage, networking, bus interfaces: SCSI, SCSI-2, FDDI, CSMA/CD, VMEbus,
> Multibus, HIPPI, RS-232/V.24 electrical
> Markup: SGML, RELAX NG, VRML
> Geocoding: ISO 19100 (19107, 19108, 19123, 19127)

Most of these weren't ISO/ITU committees, but were either private
industry consortia, or other standards work that got a "finishing
polish."  In fact, the only one I know of that was ISO from start
to finish is X.400, which surely must be considered a temporary
success at best, if not an overall failure and waste of time.

I believe when most folks say "what has ISO done," they want examples that
started in ISO (or ITU, most folks comingle them), rather than another
phase on an existing work.  If all you need is the latter, than just have
ISO versions of IP, TCP, HTTP/1.1, and SSL.

So, can anyone point to ISO/ITU success in the computer (software) field?

        /r$

XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html