   DAFIF and date formats

Michael Kay wrote:

> Their site appears to have a security certificate that expired on 5th
> February, or possibly 2nd May.

If only a standards body could come up with a date format that people from
all countries could understand ...

Seriously, the DAFIF is a wonderful example of free information online, even
if the Web people forget to renew their certificate, or even to come up with
a domain name to associate with the IP address.  If anyone is interested in
a medium-size, free (as-in-beer and as-in-speech) dataset to convert to XML
and test with tools, I highly recommend the DAFIFT (the tab-delimited
version), which includes worldwide information on thousands of airports,
runways, air traffic service frequencies, air routes, etc. etc.

   https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm

The U.S. government leads the world in making this kind of data freely
available, however much it sticks in my Canadian throat to say so.
Converting the tab-delimited tables to XML is fairly trivial, as long as you
read the data dictionaries first.

All the best,

David