   Re: [xml-dev] Overloaded functions in XPath 1.0?

Jeremy Johnson wrote:

> An application I’m working on needs to be able to evaluate XPath 1.0
> expressions.  In addition to the standard XPath core functions, we need
> to introduce an application-specific function that retrieves a value
> from a data structure internal to the app.  Lets call it ‘getvalue()’.
> This value could be a String, Boolean or Number.  Would it be a
> violation of XPath practices for this ‘getvalue()’ function to be an
> overloaded function, returning String, Number and Boolean (e.g. three
> functions: string getvalue(), boolean getvalue(), number getvalue())?

I think that would violate not only XPath practices. Usually return type
play no role in overload resolution, especially in the face of implicit
conversions. The problem here is how the compiler should decide which
overloaded function actually should be called?
--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://blog.tkachenko.com