   Overloaded functions in XPath 1.0?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Overloaded functions in XPath 1.0?
  • From: "Jeremy Johnson" <jeremy.johnson@imtc.gatech.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:32:04 -0400

An application I’m working on needs to be able to evaluate XPath 1.0 expressions.  In addition to the standard XPath core functions, we need to introduce an application-specific function that retrieves a value from a data structure internal to the app.  Lets call it getvalue()’.  This value could be a String, Boolean or Number.  Would it be a violation of XPath practices for this getvalue()’ function to be an overloaded function, returning String, Number and Boolean (e.g. three functions: string getvalue(), boolean getvalue(), number getvalue())?  My alternative would be to use unique function names such as getstring(), getboolean() and getnumber()...