   RE: [xml-dev] Designing XML to Support Information Evolution

  • To: "Rick Marshall" <rjm@zenucom.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Designing XML to Support Information Evolution
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:05:21 -0500
  • Cc: "Michael Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,"xml-dev DEV'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> writes:

> i found one way to fix the performance problem is with associative
> structures. these are heavily indexed tables and associative lists to
> work out navigation issues. and then it's very fast - much
> faster than
> exitsing techniques. i worked out how to do it with
> relational databases
> and now i'm building code for xml. but normalisation is important to
> make this work.
>
> the "secret" is being able to traverse lists very quickly

Could you go into a little more detail about what you're doing?  List
traversal is the one thing that relational database do very well...  I
also don't find a lot of problems with list traversal in XSLT.  However,
for building a hierarchical view of data (for presentation purposes) I
find that gluing together lists doesn't perform; you really have to
stick to a hierarchical representation of your data from end to end.
The trick for doing this with databases is a little work, but not
extremely difficult, I've talked about it here and the cocoon-dev lists
a couple of times and can do so again if people want.

I get the feeling that your work is all pure data manipulation and no
hierarchical presentation so I don't think comparing the two approaches
(hierarchical trees vs. associative lists) is meaningful, but perhaps
I'm missing something?